Uterine fibroids have become a common fertility problem for many females in their child bearing age. These are the abnormal muscular projections on the walls of the uterus that have a tendency to interfere with the menstrual cycle.
Initially, there may not be any problematic symptoms, but as the fibroids grow in size and number, symptoms start arising. You should be aware of those symptoms in order to deal better with them in time.
Common signs and symptoms of uterine fibroids include the following:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding with intense abdominal cramps
- Prolonged menstruation that continues for more than 5 days
- Frequent episodes of spotting
- Painful sexual intercourse (dyspareunia)
- Urinary discomforts
- Increase in body weight
The symptoms of uterine fibroids can be very intense and can worsen over time. Therefore, the best approach is to get them treated as soon as possible.
Can uterine fibroids be treated without surgery?
Yes, it is possible to cure only the mild cases of uterine fibroids without surgery. The non-surgical treatments for uterine fibroids include home remedies, lifestyle changes and certain medications
Home remedies and management tips
There are various ways to get rid of uterine fibroids through home remedies or natural treatment.
- Increase the consumption of dietary fibers to flush out the toxins from the body. Wholegrains, oats, maize, green vegetables, and fruits are the excellent sources of natural fibers.
- Rather than eating junk or processed foods switch to salads, sprouts and nuts.
- Ditch the high dose of caffeine and choose a cup of green tea every day.
- Maintain an active lifestyle and make exercise and yoga an integral part of your daily routine. Doing so enhances the blood supply to the uterus and also strengthens the uterus.
- You gotta make sure that you do not indulge in excessive smoking or alcohol drinking. These habits aggravate the condition and make the uterine fibroid symptoms worse.
Medications for uterine fibroids
A wide variety of uterine fibroid medicines are available in ayurveda, homeopathy and allopathy.
Ayurvedic medicines for uterine fibroids include:
- Kaishore Guggulu
- Shudh Guggulu
- Haridra Khanda
Similarly, the most widely prescribed homeopathic remedies for uterine fibroids are:
- Fraxinus Americana
- Thlaspi Bursa Pastoris
- Ustilago Maydis
- Sabina Officinalis
- Trillium Pendulum
- Ferrum Met
In allopathy, doctors usually prescribe the following classes of medicines for providing relief from uterine fibroids:
- GnRH agonists (Gonadotropin releasing hormone agonists)
- SERMs (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators)
- Tranexamic Acid
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
All the above-mentioned medicines have different benefits for uterine fibroids. Some medications only relieve the pain and menstrual discomforts, while others have an additional capability of shrinking fibroids of small size.
However, you must note that these medications can have side-effects too. Therefore, it is not wise to self-medicate. You should always consult a doctor before taking any of these medicines to ensure that no complications or unpleasant side-effects occur.
When does surgery become necessary for uterine fibroids?
You may need to consider the surgical treatment of uterine fibroids in the following cases:
- The home remedies, medications and all other non-surgical treatments fail to work.
- The symptoms of uterine fibroids continue to become worse by the day
- Uterine fibroids start becoming the reason for infections
- The uterine fibroids keep on recurring
- The fibroids start affecting your fertility or cause any problems in your pregnancy
In such cases, it is necessary to treat the fibroids before the situation gets even more complicated. Therefore, it is better to discuss the surgical removal of the fibroids in the uterus.
What are the surgical options for uterine fibroids?
The two most commonly performed surgeries for uterine fibroids are myomectomy and hysterectomy. These surgical procedures are safe and reliable.
Myomectomy is a surgical treatment which aims at removing the fibroids only, leaving the uterus intact. The surgeon can remove these fibroids through hysteroscopy, through minor incisions in the abdomen or through a laparoscopic procedure. It cures the existing fibroids but there is a possibility that new fibroids may grow over the next few years.
Hysterectomy, on the other hand, is a permanent treatment for uterine fibroids. You may have to undergo hysterectomy if you have clusters of fibroids in the uterus, or if fibroids in your case are recurrent.
In hysterectomy, the surgeon removes the fibroids, and also the uterus along with it. Hysterectomy can be both partial as well as complete.
Is uterine fibroid surgery safe?
The advanced procedures for myomectomy and hysterectomy are 100% safe. They are minimally invasive in nature and thus involve almost nil chances of intraoperative or postoperative complications. Moreover, these surgeries are absolutely painless and trouble-free. They offer a speedy and smooth recovery as well. All you need to do is follow your doctor’s instructions and you’ll recover completely within no time.
And to make the surgery even more safe and convenient, it is important that you choose the right hospital and the right doctor. One healthcare provider that you can rely on for a seamless surgical experience is Pristyn Care.
They are associated with the best gynecologists and hospitals in Delhi and other Indian cities and they use USFDA approved technologies during the surgeries. They have a great track record in treating women with uterine fibroids. So if you are struggling with the troubles of uterine fibroids, you can contact one of their specialists and undergo the surgery at a Pristyn Care partnered hospital near your place.
Uterine fibroids are very common, and can turn quite complicated if you leave them unattended for a long time. Therefore, you must get in touch with a gynecologist if you suspect the presence of fibroids in your uterus. Get proper diagnosis and then discuss the most-suited treatment option with your doctor. The choice of treatment option would majorly depend upon the severity of the condition, but whether it is non-surgical or surgical, do not delay the treatment. Timely and proper treatment of uterine fibroids can save you from any complications and help you lead a trouble-free life.