Who needs a lip gloss or lipstick when you have naturally pink lips? Soft and pink lips is not a standard for measuring beauty, it is an indicator of how well you take care of yourself and how you present yourself to others. Darkened and chapped lips can affect your appearance and show a lack of proper lip care. There are various reasons for darkening of lips and discoloration such as smoking, dehydration, hyperpigmentation, excessive caffeine intake and reaction to certain allergens. In this article, we have put together a collection of effective natural home remedies for pink lips along with some useful lip care tips.
6 Common Causes of Dark and Dry Lips
Darkness of lips or discoloration can be caused due to several internal and external factors such as:
Smooth and supple appearance of lips makes them more attractive and beautiful and they best way to avoid dry and chapped lips is to moisturize it on a daily basis. The skin on the lips is extremely soft and thin and they cannot produce natural oils to keep them moist. So, care has to be taken externally with the use of creams and lip balms. Smokers and those who have a habit of licking their lips face the problem of dry lips. Cold and windy weather only makes things worse leading to cracking and chapping of lips.
Certain Cosmetic Products
Inferior quality or expired lip sticks and lip gloss can irritate the skin on your lips and cause inflammation which can head to darkness or discoloration of your lips. Not removing makeup before going to bad can also blacken the lips because the layer of lipstick and lip-gloss cuts off fresh air for a prolonged period of time.
This is one of the main reasons for darkening of lips. It is caused due to excessive deposition of pigment melanin on the lips. Hyperpigmentation occurs due to excessive sun exposure and the dark patches form in symmetrical pattern, mainly affecting the upper lips.
Other than hyperpigmentation, sun exposure can also burn the skin and cause sun tan which leads to formation of layer of dead skin cells on your lips and other parts of the body exposed to sun light. Lips are more sensitive compared to other parts of the skin so it is most affected.
This is yet another common reason for darkening and discoloration of the lips. The heat not only burns the skin of the lips and causes dryness and wrinkles on and around the lips. Tobacco stains the lips and causes them to darken to a black color.
Dehydration of lips is causes in two ways – first not drinking enough water and second licking the lips. Common symptoms of dehydration are dry skin on the face, hands and neck which ultimately lead to dark shades on the lips due to lack of moisture.
Best Natural Home Remedies for Pink Lips
Lemon Juice for Pinkish Lips
Lemon juice is one of the best home remedies for pink lips that help to lighten dark patches and spots thanks to its acidic nature. Its bleaching properties also help to lighten darkness caused by excessive sun exposure. Being a natural exfoliating agent, it helps to remove the layer of dead skin cells on the lips and give is a natural pink hue.
- Cut a lemon into half and squeeze out its juice into a glass bowl
- Apply the juice directly to your lips before going to bed every night and wash off with water the next morning
- You can also sprinkle some sugar granules on a lemon wedge and rub it on your lips lightly to remove the dead skin cells
- If you feel that raw lemon juice is too harsh for your lips then you can dilute it with glycerin and honey and apply to your lips daily before going to bed
- Honey and glycerin with help to moisturize your lips while reducing darkness at the same time
Cucumber Juice for Rose Pink Lips
Raw cucumber juice is yet another effective remedy for dark lips. The vitamins and minerals in cucumber promote cell regeneration and promote the growth of new cells which gives a pink appearance to the lips. The natural anti-inflammatory and cooling effect of cucumber also helps to lighten darkness caused by sun tan.
- Take a fresh cucumber and cut a few slices from it and apply it directly to your lips
- Wait for 10 minutes and then wash your lips with water
- You can also grate 1/2 of the cucumber and apply the cucumber pulp directly to your lips
- Wait for 10 minutes so that the cucumber juice gets absorbed in the skin
- Wash your lips with water and dry with a towel
- Use this remedy 2 times daily for effective results
Pomegranate Seeds and Milk Scrub for Soft Pink Lips
Exfoliation is the ultimate answer to the question of how to get pink lips naturally. Pomegranate seeds mixed with milk make a mild and effective exfoliating scrub that helps to remove the layer of dead skin cells from the lips in a gentle manner. Vitamin D present in milk helps to fade dark spots and patches on the lips.
- Take a tablespoon of dried pomegranate seeds and crush it to from a coarse powder
- Now, add this powder to 1 tablespoon of milk or milk cream and mix well to form a paste
- Apply this mixture to your lips and gently rub for a few minutes using your fingers
- Let it stay on for another 5 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water
- Repeat this procedure once every day for best results
Honey and Sugar Scrub Remedy for Dark Black Lips
The combination of honey and sugar is an effective dark lips treatment that shows prompt results. Darkness of lips is often caused due to excessive dry lips on the skin. Honey is known for its natural humectant property that helps to retain moisture in the lips and keep it hydrated. Sugar granules act as a mild scrub that helps to get rid of the dry skin and layer of dead cells that form on the lips.
- Take a tablespoon of honey in a glass bowl and add a teaspoon of granulated sugar to it
- Mix both the ingredients to form a thick paste
- Apply this mixture to your lips and massage with your finger using gentle motion
- Continue to massage for 5 minutes and then leave it on for another 5 minutes
- Now, wash your lips with lukewarm water and pat dry with a towel
- Reapply this remedy once every day for noticeable results within a couple of days
Turmeric Powder and Milk for Lip Care
When it comes to lightening skin tone, there is no other natural remedy like turmeric. The combination of turmeric and milk is one of the age old remedies for pink lips. Turmeric helps to lighten skin pigmentation and dark spots on and around the lips. Lactic acid in milk works as a natural exfoliator that helps to break down the layer of dead skin cells and reveal the bright pink color of the lips.
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass bowl and add 1 teaspoon of milk to it
- Mix well to form a thick smooth paste and apply it to your lips directly
- Now, massage your lips with a soft bristled tooth brush for 3 to 4 minutes
- Wash your lips with lukewarm water, pat dry with a towel and apply a layer of lip balm
- Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times a week for effective results
Berries Paste Remedy for Dark Lips
Tangy and juicy berries make a healthy and tasty snack but how to get pink lips naturally using berries? Well, berries of all kinds – raspberries, strawberries, blueberries are potent source of vitamin C and Ellagic acid that hydrates the lips, cures dry chapped lips, lightens darkness caused by sun damage and gives a pink and supple appearance to the lips. No wonder, extract from berries are often used in commercial lip balms.
- Take a couple of fresh raspberries or strawberries and thaw them to form a smooth pulp
- Add a teaspoon of honey or aloe vera gel to it and mix thoroughly
- Apply this mixture to your lips and massage with your fingers for 5 to 8 minutes
- Wash off with cold water and dry with a towel
- You can also use frozen berries for this purpose
- Repeat the procedure 3 to 4 times a week for best result
Beetroot Make Your Lips Pinker
Beetroot juice is a less-known but effective remedy for dark lips. The natural bleaching property of beetroot juice helps to lighten dark patches caused by tanning and hyperpigmentation. The vitamins and minerals in beetroot juice improve blood circulation to the skin and promote cell regeneration that give a soft, supply texture of pink hue to the lips.
- Peel a beetroot and grate it to form thick pulp
- Squeeze out the rich red juice from the beetroot pulp and apply it to your lips
- Let the juice soak in for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash off with water
- You can also add carrot juice to the beetroot juice to add in the powder of beta-carotene
- Repeat this remedy once daily for a couple of weeks for best results
Almond Oil Overnight for Pink Lips
Natural almond oil has numerous benefits of skin and hair and it one of the best home remedies for lightening dark lips and curing chapped and dry lips. Almond oil is a rich source of vitamin E that works as an antioxidant and protects the skin of the lips from UV radiation damage and free radical damage and helps to keep it soft and supple. It also acts as a natural moisturizer that helps to keep the lips well-nourished.
- Take a tablespoon of honey and add 5 to 6 drops of almond oil to it and mix well
- Apply this mixture to your lips and massage your lips with your fingers for 5 minutes
- Leave it on for another 5 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water and dry with a towel
- Reapply this concoction once or twice every day to get amazing results within a few days
Crushed Rose Petals for Rosy Lips
Rose has innumerable benefits of skin and it works as an effective natural dark lips treatment that shows quick results. The natural oils in rose help to moisturize the skin of the lips while vitamin C in rose petals helps to protect the lips against the damaging effects of the sun rays. Rose petals can also help to lighten skin tone and reduce dark spots and patches on the lips and around eyes.
- Take a handful of rose petals and add a teaspoon of butter to it
- Grind both the ingredients to form a thick paste
- Apply the paste all over the lips and massage for 5 minutes
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water
- Reapply this mixture once daily till you notice visible results
Mint Paste for Lighten Dark/Black Lips
The amazing skin benefitting aspects of mint makes it a widely used ingredient in skin care and hair care products. The anti-inflammatory properties of mint help to soothe irritation in the lips caused by cosmetics and lipsticks. Salicylic acid in mint loosens up dead skin cells on the lips and brings out the bright pink color of the lips.
- Take a handful of fresh mint leaves and crush it to from a thick paste
- Add a teaspoon of rose water to the paste and mix well
- Apply the mixture to your lips and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes
- Wash off with water, dry with a towel and apply petroleum jelly
- Repeat this remedy once daily for a couple of weeks for best results
7 Effective Lip Care Tips to Get Soft And Pinkish Lips
Moisture your Lips Often
Because your lips don’t have the oil glands that produce sebum, it is important to keep your lips moisturized with the help of lip balms, petroleum jelly and creams. Always have a tube of lip balm handy in your bag even when you go out to help prevent dryness and darkening of lips.
Drink Plenty of Water
Water is the main ingredient to have beautiful skin and naturally pink lips. Make sure you drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day to keep your skin hydrated and flush out heavy metals and toxins from your system that cause darkening of the lips.
Don’t Lick or Bite your Lips
Biting and licking your lips is considered a bad habit that causes dryness of lips and leaves them chapped and dark. so, if you feel that your lips are drying apply a layer of lip balm or petroleum jelly instead of wetting the lips with saliva.
Have a Balanced Diet
A balanced diet deficient in essential nutrients can have a long term damaging effect on the skin and lips. So make sure you eat plenty of fresh fruits and leafy green vegetables to load up of skin-benefiting nutrients such as vitamin E, vitamin C and B-vitamins.
Exfoliate when Required
Prolonged sun exposure, pollution and free radical damage creates a layer of dead skin cells on the lips which gives it a dark and dull appearance. Use a mild lip exfoliate to scrub your lips and remove the layer of dead skin cells.
Don’t Use Cheap Cosmetic Creams
Lips are extremely sensitive and more susceptible to sunburn compared to rest of the skin. So, use a sun-protective lip balm or lip moisturizer with SPF 15 in order to protect your lips from the harsh rays of the sun.
Make sure to remove lipstick and makeup before going to bed Layers of lipstick, lip liner and lip gloss cuts out air supply to the lips and leads to dryness. The chemicals in these cosmetics also affect the sensitive skin of the lips and lip discoloration is just a reaction of this irritation. So, it is important to remove your makeup and lipstick with a mild toner of natural oil such as olive oil or coconut oil before your hit the bed for the night.
These natural remedies might take some time to show results, so you have to be patient and use them consistently as per direction to get soft and pink lips naturally.
Image credits: healthtips25.com, dn.shopify.com, thefashionhallblog.com, geldue.it, realstylenetwork.com, taylongvinhvien.org