The definition of beauty is not only limited to a youthful face or long shining hair, complete beauty also include hygiene and care of the entire body, most importantly the feet. Our feet are the most ignored part for the body when it comes to skin care which is most exposed to dust, dirt and water. All these factors lead to excessive dryness of the skin of your feet. And lack of moisturizer and proper exfoliation can lead to formation of dead skin on your feet which cause painful cracked heels. Some of the common causes of dead skin on your feet include use of harsh soaps, standing for long hours, using improper footwear and being overweight. In this article, we have listed not one but twelve easy and effective home remedies for dry cracked feet that will not only remove dead skin cells from the feet but also moisturize it and cure painful cracks.
12 Easy Homemade Scrubs to Get Rid of Dead Skin on Feet
Oatmeal scrub is not only beneficial for removing dead skin cells from skin, it is one of the best home remedies for cracked heels that helps to sooth and moisturize dry feet cracked heels. When mixed with water, oats creates a thick and sticky mixture that forms a layer over the skin and helps to trap moisture in the skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of oatmeal with milk or rose water and create a thick paste
- Apply this paste thoroughly on both the feet, especially on the heels
- Let it stay for 30 minutes before you start scrubbing
- Now, wet your feet by sprinkling some water and use a foot brush or your fingers to scrub your feet
- Scrub for 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse off with cold water
- Dry your feet with a towel and apply a moisturizer or petroleum jelly to your feet
- Reapply this scrub once every day for best results
Sugar and Coconut Oil Scrub
The combination of granulated sugar and coconut oil makes a power-packed cracked heels treatment. The sugar granules help to remove dead skin cells and dirt from the feet and the heels while the healthy fats in coconut oil nourish the skin, hydrates and moisturizes it and heals the cracks and broken skin on the heels. Vitamin C in lemon essential oil nourishes the skin cells and promotes cell regeneration.
- Combine 2 cups of sugar, 1/4th cup of coconut oil and 6 to 8 drops of lemon essential oil in a bowl
- Mix the ingredients so that you have a soft and thick consistency
- Apply the mixture on both the feet and massage you feet in strong circular motion
- Pay extra attention to the heels and toes
- Scrub for 10 to 15 minutes or till the sugar granules are dissolved
- Wash your feet with cold water and pat dry with a towel
- Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times every week for spa-treatment like results
Coffee and Olive oil Foot Scrub
The coarse texture of ground coffee makes it an excellent skin exfoliating agent that helps to remove dead skin cells and layer of dirt from this skin and helps to develop soft and smooth feet. Olive oil is a potent source of antioxidants such as vitamin E, polyphenols and phytosterols that heal the skin from within. The combination of coffee and olive oil makes an amazing cure for cracked heels and dry skin on feet.
- Mix a tablespoon of coarse ground coffee beans with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a glass bowl
- You can also add granulated sugar to the mixture
- Now, apply the mixture on your feet and start scrubbing using a firm rub
- Continue to scrub for 10 minutes and then wash off with warm water
- Dry your feet with a towel and apply a thick layer of cream or moisturizer
- Reapply this scrub 3 times a week for effective results
Sea Salt Scrub
The coarse texture of sea salt makes it an excellent ingredient for exfoliating treatment that helps to get rid of cracked heels and dry skin on feet. Sea salt helps to remove the layer of dead skin cell of the feet and soften the tough skin on the heels. But sea salt is a bit harsh so it is best to tone down the harshness by mixing it with some sweet almond oil, which additionally moisturizes and hydrates the skin on your feet.
- Take a tablespoon each of coarse sea salt and sweet almond oil in glass bowl
- Mix the ingredients roughly and apply evenly on both feet
- Massage and scrub the skin of your feet using firm circular movements with your fingers
- Continue to scrub for 10 minutes and then wash off with cold water
- Dry your feet with a towel and apply a thick layer of moisturizing cream
- Repeat this remedy once or twice every week for best results
Baking Soda Scrub
Baking soda is not only an effective treatment for pimples and acne; it also helps to get rid of dead skin on feet thanks to its powerful exfoliating property. It helps to remove dead skin cells and balances the pH of the skin so that it does not become excessively dry. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of baking soda also help to cure painful cracks and infections in the heels.
- Take a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass bowl and add a tablespoon of rose water to it
- Mix both the ingredients so that it forms a thick, smooth paste
- Now, apply the mixture to your feet and heels and rub it with your fingers using strong circular movements
- Continue to rub in and massage for 5 minutes and then wash off with cold water
- Dry your feet with a towel and apply some petroleum jelly to it
- Reapply this scrub 2 to 3 times a week to get noticeable results
Tea Tree Oil, Apricot oil and Sea salt Scrub
The combination of tea tree oil and apricot oil in this scrub helps to soften the hard and coarse skin of the feet. Anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil helps to reduce the risk of infections and fungus in the feet and it also helps to get rid of food odor. Apricot oil enriches the skin of the feet and helps to soothe and heal dry, damaged skin because it is readily absorbed into the skin pores.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sea salt with 1 teaspoon of organic apricot oil and add a few drops fo tea tree essential oil to it
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly and apply it on the feet and heels
- Rub it on your skin using firm circular motion with your fingers
- Continue to rub and massage for 10 minutes
- Wash your feet with warm water and pat dry with a towel
- Repeat this method 2 to 3 times a week for best results
Pumpkin and Brown Sugar Scrub
The mixture of pumpkin puree and brown sugar is the best way to get rid of hard skin on feet. Pumpkin is a potent source of skin-friendly vitamins C, E, B-vitamins along with beta-carotene that supplies nourishment to the skin and helps to improve blood circulation that increases cell turnover and cell renewal. Brown sugar is a natural humectant that locks moisture into the skin while glycolic acid in brown sugar breaks down layers of dead skin cells.
- Mix 1/2 cup of crushed pumpkin puree with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar so that is forms a thick mixture
- Apply this concoction all over your feet and massage thoroughly using your fingers
- Continue to massage till the sugar granules dissolve
- Now, wash your feet with warm water and gently dry with a towel
- Apply some almond oil or olive oil to your feet
- Reapply this foot scrub 3 to 4 times a week for remarkable results
A nourishing avocado scrub is the ultimate answer to the question of how to get rid of dead skin on feet. The moisturizing monounsaturated fatty acids in avocado help to maintain moisture in the top-most layer of the skin so that it remains soft and hydrated. Omega 9 fatty acids regenerates the damaged skin cells around the heels and reduces excessive dryness.
- Grind the dry avocado pit in a coffee grinder so that it attains a coarse texture
- Now mash one half of the avocado flesh and add a tea spoon each of the ground avocado pit and corn meal to it
- Mix all the ingredients till it forms a thick creamy paste
- Apply this paste on your feet and toes and massage gently using circular movements
- Continue to massage for 10 minutes and then wash your feet with warm water and dry with a towel
- Reapply this scrub 2 times a week for amazing results
Strawberry and Rock Salt Scrub
Strawberries are a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that nourish the skin, hydrate it and give it a refreshing appearance. Strawberry also helps to get rid of dead skin cells and lighten dark spots on the feet. Rock salt works as a strong exfoliating agent that helps to remove the stubborn hard layer of dead skin that forms of the heels. All these features make strawberry and rock salt scrub one of these most effective home remedies for dry feet and cracked heels.
- Take 3 chopped ripe strawberries, 1 tablespoon of rock salt and 2 tablespoons of almond oil in a bowl
- Mash the strawberries and mix the ingredients together to form a thick scrub
- Apply it on your feet and massage for 5 to 10 minutes applying force
- Wash off with cold water and pat dry with a towel
- Repeat this remedy 2 times a week for effective results
Cinnamon and Cocoa Scrub
Both cinnamon and cocoa are loaded with powerful antioxidants and are frequently used in skin care products, but how to heal cracked heels with cinnamon and cocoa? Well, cinnamon is a wonderful exfoliant that removes dead skin cells and soften rough skin of the feet. The antioxidants in cocoa helps to repair damaged skin cells and provide a rejuvenated appearance to dry and rough skin of the feet.
- Take 1 tablespoon each of ground cinnamon, cocoa powder, granulated sugar and olive oil in a container
- Mix all the ingredients to form a thick paste
- Apply this mixture evenly to your feet and massage using strong circular motion
- Give extra care to the heels and toes
- Continue to massage for 10 minutes or till the sugar granules dissolve completely
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry with a towel
- Reapply this scrub 2 to 3 times a week for remarkable results
Honey Lemon Sugar Scrub
Honey are lemon are two popular ingredients for natural skin and hair care, but how to get rid of cracked heels with this combo? Well, honey is known for is natural moisturizing and humectant property that hydrates and moisturizes the dry skin of the feet. Lemon juice has natural exfoliating property that helps to break down layers of dead skin cells and promote cell regeneration.
- Take 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of honey and the juice of one whole lemon in a glass bowl
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly to form a thick paste
- Apply this mixture evenly on your feet and massage thoroughly
- Continue to massage your feet for 5 to 10 minutes
- Wash off with warm water and dry with a towel
- Repeat this procedure 2 to 3 times a week for best results
Yogurt and Almond Scrub
The combination of yogurt and almond is not only beneficial for skin care, it is also an effective answer to the problems of how to get rid of cracked heels. Lactic acid in yogurt exfoliates and moisturizes the excessively dry skin on your feet and makes it smooth. The coarsely ground almonds helps to remove the layer of dead skin cells from the feet and helps to increase the softness of your feet.
- Crush 8 to 10 almonds into a coarse paste and add 2 table spoons of thick yogurt to it
- Mix the ingredients well to form a thick paste and apply it to your feet
- Massage your feet using strong circular motion for 8 to 10 minutes
- Wash your feet with lukewarm water and pat dry with a towel
- Reapply this scrub 2 to 3 times a week for effective result
Try out some of these easy homemade foot scrubs to know which one works best for you and get rid of cracked heels and dry skin naturally within a few weeks.