Periodontal dark circles, popularly known as dark circles around eyes are a common problem with the youth who usually suffer from sleep deprivation or excessive stress related to studies, work and examinations. Although, dark circles do not have any harmful effect on overall health and it is not a serious skin condition, but it can definitely affect your appearance a great deal and make you look tired, worn out and older than you really are. So, let us take a look at a few of the most effective natural solutions to get rid of dark circles around eyes.
Causes of Dark Circles Under Eyes
But before providing the answer to the question of how to remove dark circles, let us take a look at some of the underlying causes of dark circles around eyes:
Lack of Sleep and Tiredness
This is one of the most common causes of dark circles. Lack of sleep and excessive stress turns the skin pale, thus, making the blood vessels around the eyes more visible, giving a blue or dark appearance to the skin.
Excess sun exposure is another common cause of dark circles. When the skin is over-exposed to the sun’s rays, it draws out the pigmentation melanin to the skin’s surface, thereby rendering a darker color to the skin around the eyes and forming dark circles.
Low intake of water and other fluids can also cause dark circles under eyes. This is because of the closeness of the skin under the eyes to the underlying bones.
Smoking and Drinking
Excessive smoking and binge drinking can heavily damage the skin and lead to formation of dark circles. Excessive drinking also causes dehydration, which is one of the main reasons for dark eye circles.
12 Efective Ways to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Cucumbers are one of the best natural remedies to get rid of dark circles under eyes that is frequently used in spa and beauty salons. The mild astringent and skin-lightening properties of cucumber lighten the darkened skin around the eyes and provide a soothing and refreshing effect on puffy eyes as well.
- Slice a fresh cucumber and let the slices chill in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes
- Clean your face and place the chilled cucumber slices on your eyelids and wait for 10 minutes
- Remove the cucumber slices and then splash some water on the eyes
- Repeat this remedy two times daily, once in the morning and once in the afternoon for at least one week
Raw potato is the most effective solution for the problem of how to get rid of dark circles fast. Being a natural agent, raw potato helps to lighten dark circles and black spots on face. Raw potato can also help to soothe under eye bags.
- Peel a potato, make thin slices with a knife and apply two slices on your eyes
- Wait for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse your eyes with water
- You can also use raw potato juice instead of potato slices
- Peel and grate a raw potato and extract its juice
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice and apply it on your eyelids keeping your eyes closed
- Let the juice soak into your skin for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash off with water
- Repeat this procedure once every day for two weeks
Lemon juice is an exceptionally effective remedy to get rid of dark circles thanks to its vitamin C content. The antioxidant properties of vitamin C help to treat skin damage and darkening caused by ultraviolet rays of the sun. But raw lemon juice can be harsh on the soft and sensitive skin of the eyelids, so it’s best to apply it in diluted form.
- Squeeze the juice out of one lemon and mix 1 tablespoon of rosewater with it
- Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and apply it generously on your eyelids and around your eyes
- Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse off with water
- Reapply this concoction two to three times every week for best results
The acidic nature of tomato juice also works as a natural bleaching agent and helps to lighten darkness of skin. The toning and anti-inflammatory properties of tomato juice helps to cure puffiness of eyes and reduces the under eye bags. Tomatoes are a potent source of nutrients – vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin D, iron, sulfur, potassium, calcium and phosphorus all of which are extremely beneficial for skin.
- Cut a fresh tomato in to half and squeeze its juice out into a glass bowl
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice to it and mix well
- Apply the mixture around the eyes using a cotton ball and let it soak into the skin for 15 minutes
- Wash off the area with water and pat dry with a towel
- Reapply this remedy two times a day, once in the morning and once at night for a few weeks
Almond oil is one of the best plant-based natural oils and the ultimate answer to the question of how to get rid of dark circles. Vitamin E present in almond oil has potent anti-inflammatory benefits that heal inflammation and skin darkness caused by sun exposure. Anti-aging properties of almond oil also helps to reduce wrinkles and fine lines at the corner of the eyes.
- Buy a bottle of sweet almond oil or natural almond oil
- Clean your face thoroughly before going to bed and apply some almond oil around your eyes
- Gently massage it for 5 minutes or till the oil soaks into your skin completely
- Let the oil sit on your eyelids overnight
- Wash your face and eyes with cold water the next morning
- Massage your eyelids and skin around your eyes with almond oil every night for a few week and notice your dark circles disappear
Rose water is often used as a skin toner or cleanser because of its astringent properties, but how to get rid of bags under eyes and dark circles with rose water? Well, the hydrating properties of rose water help to revitalize and moisturize the skin around the eyes, thus rendering a refreshing look and reducing puffiness and under eye bags. Cleansing property of rose water also helps to lighten dark circles around eyes with regular use.
- Pour some rose water in a glass bowl
- Dip two cotton eye pads in the rose water and let them soak for a few minutes
- Close your eyes and put the wet eye pads on your eyes and wait for 15 minutes
- Discard the eye pads and let the rose water soak into your skin
- Follow this remedy two times a day, once in the morning and once at night before going to bed for a couple of weeks
Caffeine and antioxidant catechins are two important compounds found in both black and green tea. These compounds help to shrink the blood vessels around the eyes and reduce fluid retention which helps to reduce dark circles around eyes and minimise swelling and puffiness under eyes. You can use either green tea or black tea bags for this remedy.
- Keep two used tea bags in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Now, place a tea bag over each eyelid and relax for 15 minutes
- Remove and discard the tea bags and wash your eyes with water
- Reapply the tea bags once or twice every day for a couple of weeks
Lactic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 present in raw milk helps to moisturize and hydrate the skin around your eyes, promotes the formation of new skin cells and helps to even out skin discoloration around the eyes by replacing the layer of damaged and dead skin cells with new skin cells. Cold milk also works as a cold compress that soothes the eyes and reduces under eye bags.
- Dip two cotton eye pads in a bowl of raw milk and keep it in a refrigerator for 1 hour
- Place the wet cotton pads over your eyelids and let it stay till your eyelids soak in the cold milk
- Remove the pads and discard them and wash your eyes with water
- Reapply this remedy three to four times a day for a few weeks for fast results
Coconut oil is yet effective plant-based oil rich in healthy fats and vitamin E that helps to moisturize the delicate skin around the eyes, lighten darkness around eyes and prevent the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines under eyes and at the outer corners of the eyes. It also soothes puffy eyes and shrinks under eye bags by reducing fluid retention.
- Buy a bottle of extra-virgin coconut oil
- Take a few drops of the oil in your palms and massage it around your eyes using your finger tips for 5 to 8 minutes
- Let the oil soak in for a few hours and then wash off with water
- Follow this procedure two to three times a day for a few months for amazing results
Fresh mint or Pudina is well-known for its astringent properties that help to soothe and tone the skin and it is frequently used in natural toning solutions. But how to get rid of dark circles under eyes with mint? Well, the cooling effect of mint along with its anti-inflammatory properties helps to soothe tired eyes and prevent skin discoloration around eyes.
- Take a handful of fresh mint leaves and wash thoroughly
- Grind the leaves and turn it into a thick paste
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to the paste and mix well
- Apply this concoction on around your eyes and on your eyelids and leave it on for 15 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry the skin with a soft towel
- Repeat this method once every day till you notice positive results
Fenugreek seeds are an excellent source of protein, vitamin c and potassium that helps in regeneration of skin cells and lightens dark circles around eyes by replacing the layer of dead skin cells with new cells. Fenugreek also balances the pH of the skin and maintains it at a healthy level which is also beneficial to achieve even skin tone.
- Soak a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight or for three to four hours
- Drain out the excess water and grind the seeds to form a smooth paste
- Ass half teaspoon each of turmeric powder and raw milk to it and mix well
- Apply the mixture on your eyelids and under your eyes
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash off with cold water
- Repeat this remedy once every day for one week
Orange juice is one of the best sauces of vitamin C that boosts the production of collagen and helps to reduce puffiness of eyes, under eye bags and wrinkles. The mild acidic nature of orange juice helps to even out skin tone and cure skin discoloration around the eyes. Vitamin C also helps to neutralize the skin damage around eyes caused by free radicals.
- Cut an orange into half and squeeze out the juice from one half into a glass bowl
- Add a few drops of glycerin to the juice and mix well
- Apply the mixture on your eyelids and under the eyes evenly
- Let the juice soak in for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with cold water
- Repeat this remedy once every day in the evening for a few weeks
All these remedies are proven and time-tested by all of them may not show similar results for each and every person. So, try out a few of these remedies in order to determine which one works best in your case. Also, reduce the amount of alcohol consumption and smoking, get adequate sleep, try to control stress and keep yourself hydrated in order to get rid of dark circles naturally.
Image Credits: pollosmario.com,glamcheck.com,confusedsandals.com,evs.nu